Intelsat General Communications LLC (IGC), a wholly owned subsidiary of Intelsat, operator of the world’s largest integrated satellite and terrestrial network, today announced the launch of FlexGround Communications-On-The-Move (COTM), a powerful and portable land-connectivity solution designed specifically to meet the advanced communications needs of today’s military, government and emergency responders, including border patrol agents and humanitarian aid workers.
IGC’s FlexGround COTM solution offers expansive global broadband coverage and the ability to transmit high-definition, full-motion videos using compact, low-profile satellite antennas. FlexGround COTM leverages the strength of the Intelsat Epic high-throughput satellite fleet to deliver high-speed broadband mobile connectivity for a host of applications, including converged voice, data and video.
“Ground forces and emergency responders often work in remote areas far from any communications infrastructure, or where that infrastructure has been destroyed. Our customers have told us they need a more advanced and affordable solution, one that goes beyond the capabilities of the push-to-talk radios and low-bandwidth satellite communications currently on the market,” said Skot Butler, president of Intelsat General Communications. “FlexGround COTM meets this need, enabling military personnel and first responders to securely, reliably and easily access and share information while in a moving vehicle.”
Specifically, IGC’s FlexGround COTM manage service delivers:
· High-speed data transmission rates: with speeds up to 5x2 megabytes Maximum Information Rate (MIR), FlexGround COTM enables the transmission of high-definition, full-motion video using small antennas – all while users are on the move;
· Compact, easy-to-use hardware: small terminals and low-profile antennas are designed for easy use by non-technical operators;
· Affordable, flexible pay plans: with gigabyte and shared plans, plus a flexible, pay-as-you go model, FlexGround COTM is ideal for both occasional first-responder missions and around-the-clock military operations;
· Global coverage: the managed service leverages Intelsat’s integrated global satellite and terrestrial network, which covers 99 percent of the world’s populated areas, and it is comprised of more than 50 satellites worldwide, including the only global high-throughput Ku-band satellite fleet in operation; and
· Secure, reliable communications: anti-jamming capabilities, combined with multiple layers of resiliency, ensure secure communications and seamless connectivity.
FlexGround COTM is the third product in the FlexGround managed services platform, which also includes FlexGround Communications-On-The-Pause (COTP) and FlexGround Manpack.